offham2423222120191817161514111007060302

©2007 Sussex Archaeological Society






Hamsey Tithe Map

Why a tithe map?

In some parts of the country the original tithe payments in kind, a tenth or tithe of all produce which was used to support local clergy, had been gradually commuted to money payments from the late 18th century. In 1836, the government introduced a bill to commute all tithes to a money payment which was to provide a stipend for the incumbent. Where the tithes had not yet been commuted detailed parish surveys were undertaken and in many instances the first detailed large scale parochial maps were produced. The commissioners appointed to undertake the survey noted the names of landowners and tenant farmers, as well as recording built property (houses, cottages, from buildings, mills etc) and the name, acreage, and agricultural use (arable, pasture, wood etc) of every field or other land area. The apportionment and the accompanying maps provide a detailed snapshot of communities in the year in which they were surveyed.

Tithe maps and apportionments see part 1
Why a tithe map? part 2
For a brief introduction to tithe maps
by Professor Brian Short see part 3
To download an A1 pdf version of the
redrawn Hamsey Tithe Map
Search by property: